...and best friends as well??? You'd be right to question the accuracy of our new blog subtitle. Heh. Lest you get all disgusted thinking we are bragging about living in perfect sibling harmony over here, let me recount our morning. The girls were coloring peacefully at the dining room table when I thought I would try sneaking away for a few minutes to write a newletter for my class. I was downstairs frantically typing away when I heard Julia start to cry. I picked up the pace, hoping to finish my train of thought before I needed to head back up to intercede. It might seem crass that I didn't immediately sprint up to comfort my sobbing girl, but I have lately been giving more thought to a book I read a while back called Siblings Without Rivalry which makes a good argument for letting kids come to a solution on their own whenever possible. Julia was wailing her angry cry, not her hurt one so I thought I'd give it a few minutes.
Then came the screams and yells. I could tell that no one was injured (yet) but bits of phrases like, "...scissors down!" and "...not allowed to stand on the table!" reached my ears. Taking the stairs 3 at a time, I arrived on the scene to see Mimi standing in the middle of the dining room table, arm upstretched holding Julia's bumblebee safety scissors as high as possible above her head. Julia was on the floor jumping, screaming, beseaching to no avail. So much for "working it out." I wonder if Siblings Without Rivalry has a sequel out yet.
Ten minutes later, however, both girls were curled up on the couch together reading books. Maybe we stand a shot at the best friends thing yet.
And in case you were wondering, the "sister and sister" quote itself is slightly modified from a lyric from the Maya and Miguel theme song. You're probably not surprised to learn that's pretty popular around here these days.
No comments:
Post a Comment