Monday, March 24, 2008

Sugar Shakes


Easter was lovely. The girls looked beautiful in their fluffy tulle dresses and new white shoes, we got to go to mass in our newly renovated church which looks gorgeous and is a charming change from mass in the school lunchroom, which is where we have been going since last summer. I know the congregation is the real church, etc., and we are a reasonably attractive crowd, but there is no denying the specialness of celebrating the resurrection of Christ in a gorgeously resurrected space. On the way home we asked the girls what their favorite part of mass was and Mimi said, "Coloring!" Oh well. Next time maybe we leave the crayons at home. Actually, Mimi was a terrific trooper yesterday. She was very well behaved at church and was downright gracious all the rest of they day in spite of not having a nap, celebrating the day with a big bunch of friends at our house all day an into the night, and functioning with more than her body's weight worth of sugar coursing through her wee veins.

So far the girls have asked me about 1000 times this morning when they could have more Pez. Yesterday's diet of peeps, jelly beans, chocolate bunnies, and pastel wrapped peanut butter cups has convinced the girls that a new way of life is before them. They were gob stopped by the Chocolate Fountain that a friend brought and I'm sure will never be the same knowing such a thing exists in the world. We literally had to force feed them a carrot and a slice of pizza yesterday to stop them from slipping into sugar comas.

This morning we got to sleep in (yay for Easter Break!) but when I went to serve up their usual breakfast of malt-o-meal (Julia's favorite) and oatmeal with brown sugar (Mimi's favorite) both girls balked. They were convinced I hadn't sugared their cereal as usual. Sadly, I had. They just couldn't taste it with their newly desensitized palates.

Now the girls are developing a sense of twitchy desperation...having gone 12 hours without a hit, they are obviously suffering withdrawal symptoms. So now I'm stuck debating...do I let them eat candy all today and get it over with before beginning the painful de-tox in earnest or should I struggle against their incessant begging and whining for the coming week meting out their treats one stingy piece at a time hoping they don't develop a daily habit that, ultimately, proves harder to break? If I didn't have concerns for their fresh and delicate little pancreases, I might just cave and go with option one.

In other BIG news, Julia has all of a sudden become an independent reader. She has long had an impressive list of sight words at her disposal and has been able to sound out anything not too quirky for a while but just last week she sat down and worked her way through Amelia Bedelia, struggling with each and every word till she got it just right (it took about 2.5 hours. When she finally finished, she collapsed in an heap of exhaustion. She tackled another new book yesterday. Then she impressed us all by reading all her Easter cards and the note from the Easter Bunny all by herself. Just now she leaned over my shoulder, glanced at this entry and asked, what is a "pan-crease?" Thank goodness for Kindergarten teachers. I haven't the foggiest notion how she learned to read but the magic spell Julia's teacher cast over her to give her the great gift of literacy is AWESOME.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The girls are beautiful, Kristine! Love their dresses and the new church looks beautiful!

I know what you mean about the sugar shakes. I've had a hard time keeping my own thieving fingers out of their baskets. Next year I'm getting pre-made baskets with toys, not candy (yeah, like that will go over well!)

Teresa

Rionn Fears Malechem said...

Yay! Reading!