Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dream a Little Dream

Monsters invaded Mimi's dreams recently. Just about every night for the past month or so we have been awakened somewhere around 3am by her panicked cries. Mark and I took turns heaving our weary selves out of bed to stumble down the hallway to the girls' room, driven by the desire to get there before she woke up Julia. Julia is one deep sleeper but one time Mimi woke her and let me tell you that girl is Miss Cranky Pants when roused in the middle of the night. Anyway, I know the monster fear phase is fairly common and remember when Julia went through something simliar at about the same age...knowledge that these phases pass is what I clung to every time I left the warmth of my bed to protect my baby from her demons.

So a few nights ago when Mimi called out I was half-way down the hallway before it registered that her voice was calm...even cheerful sounding. Weird. I walked to her bed and could see she was still sleeping. Worried this was yet further evidence that I was loosing my mind, I stared intently at her sweet, peaceful face...could she have dozed off in the 4 seconds it took me to get there? Then without opening her eyes she spoke. She said, "Mama, voilins have strings. Guitars have strings also." Then she put her thumb in her mouth and rolled over. End of conversation.

She hasn't dreamed of monsters since.

1 comment:

Lori Lynn said...

How sweet! Pearl has been dreaming of monsters lately too. I tell her the fear is in her brain, not her bedroom. I tell her it's only scary if she thinks scary thoughts and then we talk about other things to think about instead. So far it is working. She hasn't cried in a week.

Lori