Speaking of monsters (she says referencing her last post)...we've done gone and created one. In our total inability to comfort Mimi through her bad dreams without caving in and crawling into bed with her (how cozy it seemed at 2am with the house temp hovering somewhere around 60), Mimi is now officially incapable of sleeping through the night without multiple parental visits. Last night she called out at 2am that she had chapped lips for crying out loud.
So...a big fat sticker chart is on the way and attached to it is what we euphemistically like to call an "incentive plan." Of course what we are actually doing is bribing our kid. Sleep through three nights and she can name her prize. Mimi fell for the plan hook, line and sinker. I truly hope she can live up to her end of the bargain because I'm ready to open our bank account and the tiny remains of our investment portfolio to her. This opportunity may never come her way again!
But it's not all bad.
Mimi is an avowed Daddy's girl. That's okay with me (mostly). It's hard to take umbrage when you see the two of them together; they are as sweet as can be. But lately I've been the one to soothe Mimi through her nighttime woes and, in spite of my best intentions to comfort her for 10 minutes before returning to my own bed, we've woken up in the morning all snuggled up together more than once. A few days ago I woke up in her bed with Mimi's little hands cupping my face. She gazed into my eyes and said, "Mama do girls ever marry girls?" I told her it wasn't very common but that sometimes they do. She looked relieved and said, "When I grow up I'm going to marry you."
Then my heart sang.
3 comments:
That is so funny! Chloe has told me that she is going to marry me when she grows up too. She is also going to work with me!
I have thrown in the towel on the bedtime routine for her. She now sleeps with me all the time and if I stay up past her bedtime, she is allowed to fall asleep on the couch until I go to bed. She must be in the same room with me or she will cry endlessly. I figure this phase will pass eventually and it really isn't any more work for me.
Mimi sounds like a sweetheart.
Lori W
Ok, I'm going to chime in here! Caroline wants to marry me too! It must be a 4-5 year old thing. Wierd!
The kids are always asking if they can sleep in our room. Once in a while we let them, but they have sleeping bags on the floor and Peter in particular finds the floor not to his liking some nights so he decides his bed is more comfortable.
Have to chime in again and tell you what happened two nights ago. Caroline has this thing about making sure her closet door is closed. Personally, I think it's because they're mirrored and not because of monsters, but I digress. We got home Sunday night from Disneyland and I just put her right into bed. Two hours later, she woke up crying (LOUDLY)for me to close her closet door. Rick went in, flipped the covers off of her, got close to her and said, "Get up and close it yourself" Her eyes got really big, she got out of bed and closed the door and went back to bed. So far, she has not complained about the doors since.
I have more patience than he does, but sometimes I really appreciate that he is firmer than I am.
Post a Comment