Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Blog-O-Rama 2

Till There Was You (from my draft archives)

Every night since the very first one, in a hotel room in Changsha, China, we have sung the same song to Mimi as she drifted off to sleep. I don't know how it was originally chosen...it just sort of came out that magical night as we cuddled and rocked her. The song stuck. Since then we have crooned the same tune, "Till there was you" (our version is more Beatles than Musicman), over 1,000 times.
Julia has a different song and that's another story.

The lyrics of Mimi's song weren't problematic till she got old enough to really understand them. And mostly only then because she shares a room with Julia. Logistically, this means both girls listen to the other one's song every night. A certain awkwardness has arisen now that Mimi has realized we are saying those bells, birds, and that big ole' love weren't doing much for us till she came along. Julia had figured it out much earlier, but being older she also got the fact that it was just a mushy love song and didn't read too much into it. Mimi is figuring it out as we go.

The other night, Mimi was going to sleep when Julia was out of the room. She must have felt it was the perfect time to clear up the matter once and for all.

Conversation:

Mark, in lovely rich baritone: There was love all around, but I never heard it singing, no I never heard it at all, till there was you.

Mimi: Till there was who? Julia or Mimi?

Mark: Till I had my girls.

Mimi: Till there was me? Till there was Mimi?

Mark: Yes, till there was you.

Mimi: YEESSS!!! I knew it was me!

No comments: