Thursday, July 03, 2008

Blog-O-Rama 3


Scout

Last Fall, Julia was given the opportunity to join Girl Scouts at her school. We passed because she had never been much of a joiner up until that point. However, after the first meeting many of her kindergarten classmates were raving about scouting and Julia got all inspired to sign up. So we scrambled around and got her in...a proud member of Daisy Troop 2728. I myself had actually never heard of Daisy Troops before, having mostly been a Camp Fire Girl myself, but it turns out they are the youngest members in the Scouting order. Her little badges are petals. Too cute!

A couple of weeks ago, our Daisy graduated to the next level. I have to better educate myself on the Girl Scout lingo because I keep getting confused and calling the "invocation" ceremony an "indoctrination" (or maybe I'm not that far off)...but anyway she had one and is now a Brownie Scout. She even got to hold the flag. As a part of the deal, she learned the story about how long ago a couple of lazy kids lived in a messy house and then, through some tricky grandmotherly manipulation, learned that by playacting the part of elves (also known as Brownies) they could make everyone in their family happy by sneaking around and cleaning up the joint. It works for me!

So anyway, that is the whole premise. But I'm pretty sure that is not why Julia became a Scout to begin with, nor is it the reason she is eager to remain one. At one point I asked her what she liked best about Scouts and she said, "I get to learn how to be a leader!" I beamed. I just love strong girls! But curiosity got the better of me. I asked, "What does being a leader mean?" She exclaimed with a sparkle in her eye, "I get to LEAD other girls!" Replace the word lead with boss and I think the truth finally comes out.

Meanwhile though, my Brownie Scout is enjoying making her bed, dressing herself each day and tidying up whenever asked. She may be bossy but she sure takes her commitments seriously. Hallelujah, Amen!

No comments: