
I'll admit I honestly believe that my daughters are quite the most amazing children on the planet. I'm assuming most parents feel that way, even those of us that see and acknowledge that our children are not perfect. The thing is, even when Julia is throwing a temper tantrum or Mimi sneezes a mile of snot out her nose (sorry...super gross but true...and I'm striving to depict our lives in a straightforward, truthful manner here. Believe me, the truth is sometimes disgusting and I've already spared you more than you would care to know!), I am still convinced they are brilliant, beautiful, charming and kind.
I'm a little star struck with my girls because they are both going through some incredible changes at the moment. Mimi has become so much more cuddly and giggly lately. We spend alone time in the afternoon when Julia naps and she is happy to bounce on my lap, hugging, snuggling, kissing and chatting for half an hour or more at a time. Kissing has been rather an issue with Mimi. She used to give us the "you've got cooties" look every time we'd pucker up. Later, she graciously started offering her forehead anytime we'd ask for a kiss. The other day, though, she took my face in her two sweet baby hands and planted a kiss right on my lips. I tell you, there is nothing better than an unsolicited baby kiss!
While Mimi is loving all the attention she can get, Julia is taking some big steps toward independence. Julia is a born cuddler! Until recently, her preferred mode of transportation was Mama, as in "Mama carry me!" She'd wrap her legs around my waist, hold on tight (but not too tight) to my neck, and tuck her head under my chin. Really, if I was going to have to lug around a 30 lb 3 year old, she made it as easy as could be. The outside world held little appeal to Julia-- unless she could take a long hard look at activities and events from the safety of Mama's lap, she refused to engage. Perhaps her biggest accomplishment is that she recently performed on stage in front of a large audience with her little dance group. But then again, maybe the day-to-day changes are more significant. Today, for instance, she was dropped off at dance class for an hour and a half, then went happily off to a friend's birthday party without so much as a quiver. Here it is already 3:20 in the afternoon and I think I've seen her for a grand total of 3 hours today. A few months ago I'd have already logged 5 hours with her in my arms.
So other parents might say their kids are amazing...and I'll agree. We are privileged to know quite a few astounding children. But, I'll confess that secretly I'm thinking, "How sweet that they are so blinded by love for their kids that they can't see how much more amazing my girls are!"
No comments:
Post a Comment