Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Picking up

I sometimes find myself missing my house pre-kids. My dining room without a plastic play kitchen located squarely at the head of the table. My living room without shelves overflowing with toys and miscellaneous junk horded by the girls. My bathroom without pony-tail holders (ponies) and barrettes (pretties) littering the floor. Not being one to suffer silently, I often find myself griping about our current living conditions. Fortunately, I have wise friends with good perspective to help bring me back to earth. Susan (already previously identified as the knower of many things) reminded me that this life-stage only lasts a few years and pointed out that some day I might even miss the scattered toddler debris. I pondered this as I collected all the bits and pieces left out at the end of the day and found she was, as usual, right.

Here is a list of what I found around the house:

  • Laurie Berkner CD case (entitled Whaddaya Think of That?)
  • purple pony tail holder with plastic butterfly adornment
  • blue plastic toy mixing bowl and tea cup
  • black winter coat with faux fur trimmed hood, size 5
  • denim jacket with black velvet collar, size 2
  • brown shoes with scuffed toes, size 10
  • empty paint cup
  • 18 glitter pens in a purple plastic box
  • shamrock tiara made of construction paper
  • Julia's food pyramid school project with magazine cut outs and marker designs
  • wrapping paper and ribbon from the gift we took to a 4 year old's birthday party
  • wooden letter D, painted purple
  • pink rubber gecko
  • blue paper umbrella from drink at Snappy Dragon restaurant
  • 1 red ladybug boot, size 10
  • 1 red feather boa
  • pink colored pencil
  • bag of ranunculus bulbs (purchased that day for Julia's flower garden)
  • yellow tulle fairy wings
  • 1 strawberry shortcake flip flop

This I know: when fairy wings and shamrock tiaras are replaced with car keys and cell phones, this list will bring back the memory of all the sweetness of these years.

No comments: