Friday, March 31, 2006

March has been very, very good to us


We have so much to be celebrate in our family! March 31, 2003 was the day we received Julia's referral and tonight we will head to the Snappy Dragon Restaurant to commemorate the third anniversary of the day we first saw our daughter Julia. Three years ago today we did the exact same thing, taking with us to the restaurant a small photo of our gorgeous girl to prop up against the salt shaker. It's hard to explain to the bio-family world why this day is so important to us. Trying to think of an equivalent day during a pregnancy is a challenge. Learning you are pregnant is more like the day our dossier went to China. Seeing the first ultra-sound photo is closer but still not quite the same. For us the referral was more than just looking at a snapshot of our perfect child, it also represented the light at the end of the very dark and gloomy tunnel. It meant we would really, truly and finally become parents after so many years of doubt and disappointment. We had actual proof that this child, this healthy beautiful child was OURS. We were to be the parents of a this miraculous baby, born on August 2, 2002. We could revel in the fact that our daughter had a thick mop of hair, was a good sleeper, and was known for seizing toys. I guess the day we finally made it to China and held Julia in our arms would have to be the direct comparison to the day of giving birth to us, but the referral day will always be uniquely special. It was the day we first cried tears of joy for our Julia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your insight is very accurate, Kristine. I remember getting our referral picture and sending it to everyone on my email list like a woman crazed. We went to church that night and I was showing it to anyone who caught my eye!

When we got the call on Peter, we had one day to get ready to pick him up. My friend and I went shopping and she asked me how I was feeling. I told her it was like finding out you're pregnant and going to give birth the next day!

To have both girls referred to you in March AND have the benefit of St. Patrick's Day...I'd say you are correct, March has been very, very good to you!

Unknown said...

Your insight is very accurate, Kristine. I remember getting our referral picture and sending it to everyone on my email list like a woman crazed. We went to church that night and I was showing it to anyone who caught my eye!

When we got the call on Peter, we had one day to get ready to pick him up. My friend and I went shopping and she asked me how I was feeling. I told her it was like finding out you're pregnant and going to give birth the next day!

To have both girls referred to you in March AND have the benefit of St. Patrick's Day...I'd say you are correct, March has been very, very good to you!