Friday, March 17, 2006

Luck O' The Irish-Referral Anniversary


March 17th is the one-year anniversary of Mimi's referral; the day we first saw her perfect little self. I remember many of the details as clearly as it were yesterday but others have already blurred into the haze of delirious joy. I have a vivid recollection of being in my classroom with 26 4th graders explaining that at some point I might have to step out of the room to have a baby:). I had prepared the teacher next door to take over should the call come during my math lesson. It did...at 12:34 my classroom phone rang. I shut down that lesson on adding fractions mid-sentence! I raced to the phone, leaving my kids in high suspense on how to find the LCD, knowing it must be my agency. Previously, I had decided I did not want to take this call in front of my eves-dropping students. Sweet as they were, I thought Mark should be the first one to share in the excitement. So, when I heard my agency rep’s voice on the phone, I asked if I could call her right back. I raced down the hallway (teachers may, students may not:)) to the office and barged into the assistant principal's office, breathlessly explaining I needed the use of a private phone. Quick aside: I really do work with the most fabulously supportive people! Anyway, having procured the office space, I attempted to return the call. It took my shaky fingers three attempts to dial the number correctly. I can't remember which precious detail gleaned from that conversation stood out most in my mind...her big round eyes, the fact that she liked sweets and watching TV, her lovely name (Hua, meaning splendid, China or the best part of something) or her age: only 9 months old. It doesn't really matter, I just knew she was ours. I remember phoning Mark and the sweet joy of telling him about our daughter. I remember returning to my classroom of students--they sat perfectly still, as they had for the duration of my absence (so I was told), as if collectively holding their breath, waiting to share in this miraculous experience. Then I remember going to my computer to see Mimi's stunning face and knowing with out any doubt that this was our baby...I recognized her from my dreams.

No comments: