I had little sympathy for my subjects, er, I mean, siblings. They were meant to follow in my path. Whenever life did not go according to my dictates, I justified it in numerous ways designed to protect my the dignity of my royal position. Sometimes I reasoned that my younger brother, being a boy, would naturally have different interests, etc. My sister, being 5 years younger, would naturally have different needs. Keeping the excuses handy allowed continued belief in the sanctity of my realm:)
Now I have a daughter who is a big sis herself and another who I can't bear to see treated the way I treated my own brother and sister (sorry guys).
I don't think I need to worry much.
It was a real slap in the face for Julia when Mimi joined our family. Having no gender or large age gap differences to soften the blow, Julia was confronted with a pistol of a sis eager to learn anything and everything about her world and look out to anyone or anything that got in her way.
Ground formerly exclusively Julia's was now to be shared with Mimi. There are a few things we tried to keep separate just for the sake of individual identity development. However, Mimi's motto seems to be that if Julia is doing it, she wants to as well. Julia has been taking Chinese dance and language class at Melody Institute for 2 years now. For the past 12 months, all Mimi has been able to talk about is how when she gets to be a big girl she will get to take dance class too. She talks about Miss Melody (Melchie in Mimispeak)constantly. We had planned to enroll Mimi in dance class in the Fall (in the class for three year olds) but her infernal begging worked it's charms:) on us and we asked for early entrance. Mimi is so darn cute that Miss Melody did not stand a chance of declining our petition, made with my wee one perched on my hip with hopeful eyes and a bewitching smile.
Saturday was Mimi's first class. We are so very proud of how well she did following directions (we were kind of worried about that) and speaking up in a nice, clear voice. She participated fully, except when she paused to give me a tongue lashing for neglecting to purchase an umbrella needed for a prop in advance. Man, that kid has high standards for promptness! Only my repeated promises of making a trip to the store DIRECTLY after class got her to re-engage with the class.
At any rate, I'm pretty sure a star is born.
As for the sibling issues, I'll just count my blessings that Julia, while sensitive to the ever encroaching Mimi, is a mostly calm and mellow child, happy to see her little sis finally enjoying this opportunity.
I have a lot to learn from her.
No comments:
Post a Comment